Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Retaining Wall

I am an avid HGTV viewer. I have learned so many things by watching all of the programs. I am amazed at what they can do with a room or the exterior of the house. It spurs me on, much to the chagrin of my husband, to redo rooms and outside gardens.

One of the projects that I never paid much attention to was retaining walls. Retaining walls are built to do just that, hold back an embankment. We have one made out of railroad ties in our back yard that was built before we moved in (very popular a few years ago). Today, retaining walls are works of art heralding back to the ancient Romans that constructed fantastic edifices that are still around today.

The hallmark of the retaining wall is the foundation. In order to have a wall that won't fall over in time, from the weight of the dirt behind it, is a level and firm foundation. If this step is done in the wrong way or short cuts taken, the wall will not do its job and, overtime, will collapse. Once the foundation is established, the blocks can be put one on top of the other till the desired height is attained.

What is your firm foundation? Do you build your hopes and dreams on what the world gives or do you build on a foundation that is true, level, and will hold up? My foundation is Jesus Christ. He alone is the foundation that will stand the test of time, not collapse, and will always remain a thing of beauty. When the weight of the world's sins were place on His shoulders, He did not collapse under the strain. When the world mocks Him and people turn from Him, He does not fall apart. What encouragement that gives me to know that no matter what I ask of Him, no matter the burdens I lay at His feet, He will continue to be my foundation so I can withstand the pressure of the world. He is the foundation on which my hope is built.

1 comment: