Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Summer

I love summer. This summer, however, has been disappointing because of the cool weather. These cool summer days have me asking, "Global warming?" But that is a topic for another time.

Why is it that summer seems so short? I have heard that what makes a day, week, month, year or season seem so short is the amount of things we have to do during that time. When we are bored, the days seem to drag by. Once in a while, I would love to be able to spend a day in a good book and just sit back and take my mind to foreign lands, adventures, mystery and suspense. But, unfortunately, I have a job to do (custom sewing) and just when I think I can take a rest, more orders come. Don't get me wrong, with so many people out of work, I'm grateful for the opportunity to make money. As with all things, when you have the money you don't have the time to do projects around the house and when you have the time, you don't have the money. I guess that no matter what position I'm in, I will just have to be content.

I have found that vacations can be just as hectic as staying home; same tune, different dance. This year we went to Branson, MO. We went to see some shows and took it easy. I had the chance to actually read and finish a book! Now that's a vacation for me. But now that I'm home, I have been inundated with work. I guess that idle hands are the devils playground (or so I've heard).

So summer is speeding by. Soon it will be Fall. I actually heard an advertisement on TV last night for back to school stuff! I noted that in some of the stores, they're stocking up school supplies. Yikes! Didn't the kids just get out of school? Summer is speeding by and the media is taking it away! So...enjoy what's left of your summer, spend time getting to know your children again (not the terrors that you have to prod to do homework), and realize that time spent relaxing and pondering God's wonderful creation is time well spent. Maybe, if we take time to be still, summer will slow down.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true - the more I squeeze into a day the quicker time goes by! There just seems to be so many fun options in the summer! But yes - we need time to be still and just slow down and enjoy the beautiful sunshine rather than racing to do all the fun things that can be done in that sunshine!!!

    I linked up to ya at http://www.womenlivingwell.org
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete